We love to cook, eat, learn and explore. And we are passionate about eating plants.
We used to make eating plant-based more complicated and expensive than it needed to be. However, living in Asia completely changed our approach. Taking the time understand Asian spices and ingredients helped us transform simple, inexpensive and accessible foods like beans, vegetables and grains into flavorful and varied dishes. Instead of buying expensive, packaged foods and making complicated recipes, these new methods saved us money, time and taught us to be better cooks overall. Cooking Asian cuisines is a great way to eat more plants, learn new cooking skills, and get a bonus of exploring other food and cultures. Like anything new you learn, small steps lead to big changes.
We created Moving Mangoes to share:
- Flavorful, budget-friendly and simple Asian-inspired recipes (Thai, Burmese, Indian, Vietnamese, Malaysian, Japanese, etc.)
- Asian ingredients and cooking techniques and how you can use them to enhance plant-based foods
- Our travels in Asia, including our cooking class experiences and more
- General tips on eating plant-based and how to bring sustainable practices into the kitchen.
Along with our website, you can also check out our videos on our YouTube channel, Moving Mangoes.
*All of our recipes and resources are also fully vegan.
What Does Moving Mangoes Mean?
First and foremost, mangoes are a delicious and significant fruit in Asia! They are our favorite fruit and will always remind us of our move to Asia, times traveling there and how it changed our lives.
We also live by the philosophy that small steps can make a big difference. Whether it’s in the kitchen cooking or tackling any new challenge, success doesn’t happen overnight. We love the process of the small steps. Our mantra became, before you can move mountains, sometimes you have to move a few mangoes! Thus, ‘Moving Mangoes’ was born. This is how we approach our lives and the information we share on this website.
Andrew & Caryn
- Caryn grew up in Chicago, Illinois and Andrew grew up in Santa Cruz, California. We’ve both lived in Denver, Colorado for the last five years (which is also where we got married!).
- We’ve always been attracted to healthy eating, but when we started eating plant-based in early 2014, we became even more informed, compassionate, and conscious consumers.
- We’ve been fortunate to travel extensively throughout the world, but our best memories of food and travel are from our time in Asia. Andrew spent 4 years living in Southeast Asia as a teenager, and I had the fortune to travel throughout Asia for work. In July, 2017, we moved to Taipei, Taiwan to explore Asia even more in-depth. Our desire was to open our minds and embed ourselves within a new culture. We learned so much and started bringing more of our passion for Asian cuisine and cooking into our website.